Yu Suzuki's interview by Red Bull and new screenshots

(Chapter 7 and beyond)

Re: Yu Suzuki's interview by Red Bull and new screenshots

Postby BlueMue » Tue Feb 09, 2016 2:09 pm

Not much new info but the new screenshots are nice enough. Interesting to see them use that character tree again.
BlueMue
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue II

Postby Yokosuka » Tue Feb 09, 2016 3:23 pm

Spoiler :
I'm unable to plug the other characters.

Last edited by Yokosuka on Wed Feb 10, 2016 2:36 am, edited 3 times in total.

Yokosuka has received 3 thanks from: Giorgio, Nankeiro, Switch
Yokosuka
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Currently playing: Rocket League

Postby Spaghetti » Tue Feb 09, 2016 3:30 pm

There may be a misunderstanding/mistranslation there.

Cedric in the Desert Bus interview said one of his requests as a producer of Shenmue 3 was to let players leave the damn cave.

EDIT: Reading the quote again, it may be taking into context the whole of the Shenmue 3 story instead of saying where we start from? It's a tricky one.
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby Yokosuka » Tue Feb 09, 2016 3:45 pm

Spaghetti wrote: There may be a misunderstanding/mistranslation there.

Cedric in the Desert Bus interview said one of his requests as a producer of Shenmue 3 was to let players leave the damn cave.

I thought that Cédric used rather a metaphor to say "make Shenmue III" but after re-watching this, I think you're right.

GYO6161 wrote: A time skip? a crap..... whyyy???? i want to start from the cave and actually control ryo leaving the cave kinda like how i control ryo in shen2 when he gets of the boat.... crap, :(

I'm pretty sure Yu said that Shenmue 3 will start from Shenhua's house.
Tbh, I always thought that starting from the Guilin outside scenery was a more suitable intro than linking straight from the cave.
Yokosuka
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Currently playing: Rocket League

Postby shredingskin » Tue Feb 09, 2016 4:22 pm

He says "a year has not yet passed from the conclusion of Shenmue 2" but then says "he will travel to Guilin in Shenmue III".

Before he said the game would start in the road to bailu, and then said the game will start from shenhua's house.

I still believe the game will start at the beginning of gd4.

Don't know why.
shredingskin
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue
Currently playing: Some indie games.

Postby Spaghetti » Tue Feb 09, 2016 5:10 pm

shredingskin wrote: He says "a year has not yet passed from the conclusion of Shenmue 2" but then says "he will travel to Guilin in Shenmue III".

Before he said the game would start in the road to bailu, and then said the game will start from shenhua's house.

I still believe the game will start at the beginning of gd4.

Don't know why.

That'd be a weird, if kinda cool choice to get old players back into the swing of things, and new players caught up on the story.
Spaghetti
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Postby SMDzero » Tue Feb 09, 2016 5:19 pm

I guess it's conceivable that a year has gone by and Ryo and Shenhua have been living together for nearly a year in Shenhua's house. Maybe they'll even have a newborn child when Shenmue 3 starts? :king:

SMDzero has received a thanks from: Yokosuka
SMDzero
Banned
Banned

Postby LucBu » Tue Feb 09, 2016 7:06 pm

A bit of speculation beneath.

I imagine the time skip is to compensate for the fact that Shenmue 2's ending can be anywhere between January to? (June perhaps?). Considering the range of Shenmue 2's ending date, I would imagine the time skip will be set after the last possible date you could finish Shenmue 2 in order to have a fresh start in regards to the date the game starts on.

That could potentially mean, for the people who got through S1 and S2 quickly, that Ryo would appeared to have spent several months around Shenhua's house before the start of the game. (Since the start dates of Shenmue 3 players have to be the same regardless of the date S2 players finsihed the game - especially since we've skipped a generation, have no save files and we're on new consoles.)

Most likely it means Shenmue 3 will, just like S1 and S2, have a time cap and bad ending to prevent players from taking Shenmue 3 past its allotted months. From the screen shots we've seen so far many of the plants/flowers are in full bloom, so we're looking at Summer (1987) when the game starts. June-July-August. Perhaps late Summer. This matches the ending dates for Shenmue 2. Anything past this would have Autumn colors. Since the earliest footage has full bloom colors rather than an Autumn set, it seems this is the case.

The only other alternative would be literally an entire year, to allow the game to begin in the Spring in 1988, which seems a little far fetched. The significance of discovering another culture for Ryo, and for the player simultaneously, would have less of an impact if he's lived there a whole year. That synonymy between Ryo and the player in S2 allowed the experience to be new for both of them, Ryo can be surprised for the player as he stands in for the player, to some extent. I'm pretty sure it will be the Summer of 1987.

Now let's take bets on the day everyone. Saturday... no Sund-

LucBu has received 2 thanks from: SheepheadCG, VukBZ2005
LucBu
Master of the Three Blades

Postby Monkei » Wed Feb 10, 2016 5:07 am

Love the screenshots!
Monkei
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

Postby Kiske » Wed Feb 10, 2016 7:00 am

Monkei wrote: Love the screenshots!

Love the screenshots too! And thank you guys for the "characters board".

The mysterious team member behind Lan Di's face is driving me crazy :mrgreen:
Kiske
News Poster
News Poster

PSN: KosiKosa

Postby The_Fuzileiro » Wed Feb 10, 2016 12:35 pm

It's nice to see that at least 2 group members are outside orient. That guy with a beard is possibly an american. That other with long hair too.

I think it is important to have western guys on board, once qualified professionals in the japonese industry are just focusing in making smartphone games and probably are not so experient with UE4.
The_Fuzileiro
Funny Bear Burger Clerk
Funny Bear Burger Clerk

Postby Tsubasa » Wed Feb 10, 2016 1:25 pm

The_Fuzileiro wrote: It's nice to see that at least 2 group members are outside orient. That guy with a beard is possibly an american. That other with long hair too.

I think it is important to have western guys on board, once qualified professionals in the japonese industry are just focusing in making smartphone games and probably are not so experient with UE4.

Finger crossed, they will only help with Unreal Engine 4. One has to remain at his place.
Tsubasa
Asia Travel Representative
Asia Travel Representative

Favorite title: Shenmue

Postby alexh86 » Wed Feb 10, 2016 2:12 pm

It's nice to see a story that has a generally-positive tone and appreciates the patience and pain necessary to get to this point. The only inaccuracy I saw was that Shenmue II can't be controlled with a thumbstick.
alexh86

PSN: ahark86

Postby FlagshipFighter » Wed Feb 10, 2016 5:31 pm

Quick Question:

This is the first that I've heard of Red Bull doing exclusive coverage/articles. What were their interests? Is a deal between them and Yu to feature red bull cans/vending machines in the game actually plausible? Or are those divisions seperate?
FlagshipFighter
Alpha Trading Boss
Alpha Trading Boss

PSN: FlagshipFighter
XBL: FlagshipFighter
Steam: FlagshipFighter
Favorite title: Shenmue IIx

Postby Let's Get Sweaty » Wed Feb 10, 2016 6:00 pm

FlagshipFighter wrote:This is the first that I've heard of Red Bull doing exclusive coverage/articles. What were their interests? Is a deal between them and Yu to feature red bull cans/vending machines in the game actually plausible? Or are those divisions seperate?

Later this month at the Monaco circuit Yu's being announced as their new F1 driver.

Also, they have a whole section devoted to gaming on their website: redbull.com/games
Let's Get Sweaty
Machine Gun Fist
Machine Gun Fist

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: truant

PreviousNext

Return to Shenmue III