Prey for the Gods on Kickstarter - Inspired by SOTC

(Gaming discussion not related to Shenmue)

Prey for the Gods on Kickstarter - Inspired by SOTC

Postby Amir » Wed Jul 06, 2016 6:29 pm

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/80 ... r-the-gods

Backed.

phpBB [video]
Amir
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Steam: AmirMoosavi
Favorite title: Shenmue II
Currently playing: Vanquish (PC)

Re: Prey for the Gods on Kickstarter - Inspired by SOTC

Postby nskachu » Thu Jul 07, 2016 1:55 am

reminds me very much of shadow of the colossus.
nskachu
Man Mo Acolyte
Man Mo Acolyte

Favorite title: What's Shenmue
Currently playing: with feelings

Postby Kiske » Thu Jul 07, 2016 3:07 am

I will probably back it (this would be my second backed project after S3) but it's a shame that the console versions depends on whether or not the 600K$ is reached.

Edit: Backed... 35$ for now.
Kiske
News Poster
News Poster

PSN: KosiKosa

Postby Kiske » Thu Jul 14, 2016 5:51 am

New gameplay footage.

phpBB [video]
Kiske
News Poster
News Poster

Postby Kiske » Fri Jul 22, 2016 4:16 am

Project update:

PS4 & Xbox One at $300K No stretch goal required

Prey for the Gods is running and playable on PS4 and Xbox One. We figured this was going to be incredibly difficult to pull off. Initially, we put that stretch goal at $600K so we could hire people to offload Tim's work allowing him to focus on consoles.
However, we had to respond to the outcry from fans as people were pledging substantial amounts, without even a working computer, just for the chance that we'd hit a stretch goal. So we took it upon ourselves last week to shift our priorities and focus on getting the game to run on consoles. We were surprised and incredibly excited by the results. Within days, we had them playable and running @30 FPS, un-optimized! At that time, we knew we needed to take another look at our stretch goals. We also took this time to be a little more explicit with how we intend to use the funds. Namely, showing that we wish to hire an in-house animator and in-house world builder. We were also able to squeeze in Mac/Steam!! HURRAY!

I'll be reaching out to each and everyone of you that messaged us about your requests for both console and mac. So now if you back at $25 you will get the console version of your choice without fear of not hitting a stretch goal. So please tell your friends and pledge confidently.

Thank you again for your support.
No Matter Studios

They are currently at $271,326 with 14 days to go.
Kiske
News Poster
News Poster

Postby OL » Fri Jul 22, 2016 12:30 pm

It's weird, as big a fan as I am of Shadow of the Colossus, the giant-fighting stuff in this really doesn't look appealing to me. That particular aspect just looks like a poor ripoff in this, after SotC did it so perfectly.
Funny thing is, I think the rest of it looks really, really great. The exploration, the grappling hook, fighting that ghost/wraith thing, and the game world itself. All looks really appealing.
It's just strange that the main part they're trying to bait people with just doesn't look any good to me.
OL
Yo jes hummilated yoursef
Shenmue III

Postby south carmain » Fri Jul 22, 2016 1:49 pm

Looks very ambitious for its budget. I hope they'll be able to pull it off.
south carmain
Comrade of the motherland
"Keep Friends"

Favorite title: Shenmue IIx
Currently playing: okami hd

Postby Hyo Razuki » Sun Jul 24, 2016 7:59 am

south carmain wrote: Looks very ambitious for its budget. I hope they'll be able to pull it off.

That's what I was thinking. It's basically three guys who are making this game. And we thought YS Net were small.

But ther'es more. I think a lot of times the problem with KS games is that in order to generate more money, the developers put way too many stretch goals in there, which leads to way too much work load for the crew they got, which then in turn leads to delays and quality issues et cetera. This oftentimes gets worse, when all stretch goals are exceeded because then developers try to put in all stretch goals plus additional stuff they hadn't even thought about when making the KS. Those kind of things can turn a project into a total clusterfuck.

From that point of view, I'm kind of glad Shenmue 3 didn't make all its stretch goals because goals because Yu and Cedric seem to have a very distinct vision of what Shenmue can be and, perhaps even more importantly, what S3 cannot be at the budget they have. Therefor they don't seem prone to going overboard with ideas for the game.
Hyo Razuki
"After Burner...Great!"
"After Burner...Great!"

Return to General Gaming